Postpartum Doula Recertification
All red areas are clickable links.
Recertification is required every three (3) years.
If you are already certified with another certifying organization, you can recertify with LIDA following the below steps.
Why chose LIDA as your certifying body:
- You will be an integral part of a long established and well respected community of doulas on Long Island.
- Access to local pregnancy, birth and postpartum related resources.
- Membership in a local reputable diverse not-for-profit
- Strong community based doula support (meetings, facebook page etc)
- Our Community Support Fund offers a wonderful chance for newer doulas to gain paid experience while simultaneously filling a great need in our community
- Big Sister Mentor Program. In the Big Sister/Little Sister mentoring program you will have the opportunity to mentor a Little Sister which can be used as recertification credits.
- 100% of your certification fee goes back to the "Community Support Fund" to serve the community
Steps to recertifying with LIDA
15 CEUs or certification credits are required for re-certification
1. Provide doula services to a minimum of three (3) clients. All postpartum support hours submitted for re-certification must occur
within the last three (3) years of the expiration of your previous certification.
- a. Postpartum support must be provided with a minimum of 9 hours for each client
- a. Complete a LIDA birth outcome (form M)
- b. Client Confidentiality Release Form (form K)
4. Pay the re-certification application fee of $75.00
5. Be a current member of LIDA, Inc.
6. Complete Application form (Form A2)
7. CPR certified
Certification Credit Opportunities:
1. Become a “Big Sister” to a “Little Sister”. You will become a mentor during the Little Sister’s certification process. (3 Credits)
2. Attend a LIDA approved continuing education units workshop. Proof of workshop is required. (Credits will vary depending on event)
3. Volunteer at a LIDA event (Form B) (2 Credits)
4. Attend postpartum support hours approved by LIDA’s "Community Support Fund" (5 Credits)
5. Take the Postpartum Depression workshop offered by LIDA. This workshop is offered every 2 (two) years . (8 Credits)
6. Attend a minimum of four (4) LIDA meetings. If you do not live on Long Island you can attend the equivalent of the above to meetings
local to your area. (Form B) (3 Credits)
7. Attend a LIDA meeting as a guest speaker offering at least an hour presentation on a postpartum related topic of a service you provide
(other than doula services). (4 Credits)
Alternate Credit Opportunities
1. Give a thirty (30) minute (minimum) presentation about doulas/postpartum support to a hospital, birth center, parents’ group or doula
- a. One (1) alternative contact hour per presentation for a maximum of three (3) contact hours
- b. LIDA council must be notified of event prior to presentation
- c. LIDA brochures will be provided to you and distributed to workshop attendees.
- d. Complete Verification of Alternative Contact Hours (Form R) signed by the recertifying doula
- e. Title, length and detailed outline of the presentation
- f. Typewritten document stating the number of attendees
- g. All evaluations of the presentation need to be submitted with your application. The recertifying doula is responsible for preparing the evaluation form for the presentation, which must state:
- Date, time, length and location of the presentation
- Name of the recertifying doula who is presenting
- Title of the presentation
- Objectives for the presentation
2. Observe an educational film or documentary related to the childbearing year by a recognized organization in the field of birth or
- One (1) alternative contact hour per one (1) hour film or at least one (1) hour in length for a maximum of five (5) contact hours
- Complete Verification of Alternative Contact Hours (Form R), signed by the recertifying doula
- Title of film or documentary, producer, length of feature, date watched
- Typewritten 300-400 word summary of film or documentary describing how the information obtained is applicable to your practice as a birth doula
3. Attend a support group or meeting relating to the childbearing year or parenting. Examples of support groups or meetings that would
qualify include La Leche League, ICAN, bereaved parents, postpartum support groups or parents of multiples. The group or meeting
should be selected to enhance the birth doula’s education and effectiveness and must be led by someone other than the recertifying
- One (1) alternative contact hour per support group or meeting for a maximum of five (5) contact hours
- Verification of Alternative Contact Hours (Form R), signed by the recertifying doula AND by the group leader/facilitator/moderator
- Typewritten statement indicating the number of people in attendance, the topic covered and the date and length of the meeting
- Typewritten statement (50-100 words) explaining how attending this meeting or support group will impact your practice as a birth doula
Mail the originals of all required documents to LIDA, Inc along with $75.00 to LIDA, Inc. 3 Artist Blvd, Middle Island, NY 11953 and keep a copy of all submitted documentation for your own records. -- 100% of your certification fee goes back to the "Community Support Fund" to serve the community
LIDA, Inc additional information for applicants:
Problems with materials submitted for recertification:
· Applicant will be notified by e-mail, phone or letter if there are concerns with the application.
· Applicant may be asked to submit additional materials.
· Applicant is expected to act in a respectful and professional manner when discussing concerns with the certification committee.
· Applicant should be aware that an incomplete packet may be returned at the discretion of the Certification Committee for completion with a resubmission deadline.
Denial of certification:
· Re-certification may be denied to an applicant who falsifies information, does not complete all requirements or does not adhere to LIDA Inc’s Code of Ethics and Standards of Practice.
· Re-certification may be denied at the discretion of the Certification Committee.
· Refund Policies: No refund will be provided for membership fees, certification packets or certification fees if certification is denied or the applicant withdraws during the application process.
· Extensions: One extension of six (6) months may be purchased for $10